Want Publishing Experience?
Rock and Ice and Trail Runner offer intern opportunities. Now is your chance to roll up your sleeves and get dirty in print and online!
Info: Both magazines offer internships in the editorial department and the advertising department throughout the year. Internships are unpaid, but typically receive college credit and earn valuable experience and an add-on to their resumes. Dates and hours are flexible, but interns should plan on working at least 20 hours a week. Internships are in Carbondale, Colorado. Additional paying work in the area is usually not difficult to find, but housing can be an issue. Look for housing ahead of time! Please bring a laptop, if possible.
Duties: Internship duties vary depending on experience, expertise and willingness to learn, but typically include:
- Writing magazine pieces
- Writing website pieces, especially news (we'd like to see at least one news item posted every day)
- Researching stories and fact checking
- Copy editing
- Brainstorming for article and marketing
We ask each intern to arrive with at least three article ideas.
Requirements: Interns must be motivated and self-sufficient, and expect to work on their own. Interns need to seek out ideas, subjects and projects and follow through. Good candidates will demonstrate a willingness to learn, have writing/editing experience and climbing or trail running experience, and detailed knowledge of the magazine.
Recommended: A broad range of climbing experience.
- Get the inside scoop on how magazines really work
- Hang with an office of fun, outdoorsy folks who want to make you part of the team
- Experience the world-class climbing and running on Colorado's Western Slope
- Break into the magazine field
- Go bouldering every Tuesday night
If interested, please send resume, cover letter and writing clips (college pubs are OK) to Alison Osius email@example.com. (970) 704-1442 x111
Duties: Intern will work closely with the associate publisher and advertising team to help pitch the magazines and their websites to large and small national advertisers. Duties also include:
- Updating contact databases
- Assisting with events
- Creating content for social media pages
- Other advertising and marketing projects
Interns must be driven, well-organized, a strong writer, and able to communicate professionally within the office and with clients. Preference will be given to college students or recent graduates who have studied marketing or advertising. Familiarity with trail running or climbing is a plus.
- Learn how to build proposals and pitches
- Get experience behind-the-scenes at award-winning magazines
- Run and climb in the beautiful Roaring Fork and Crystal River valleys, just 30 miles downstream from Aspen
- Build a network in the advertising and magazine industries
- Be a part of Tuesday Night Bouldering!