Rock and Ice, the world’s premier climbing magazine, is looking for a qualified Advertising Manager. The Advertising Manager is responsible for Rock and Ice print and digital sales accounts, prospecting and securing new advertising sales in all media including print and digital editions of Gym Climber, and developing new revenue opportunities. Rock and Ice is climber owned with a mountain culture that is laid back but professional with exacting standards.
The position is in Carbondale, Colorado, less than an hour from Rifle and other premier climbing areas including Independence Pass, and is just three hours from Moab. Carbondale is a destination for skiing, road and mountain biking, and practically any outdoor pursuit. With an average of 242 sunny days a year, Carbondale is idyllic for outdoor enthusiasts.
Advertising Manager Reports to: Associate Publisher.
Location: Full time in the Rock and Ice office in Carbondale, Colorado.
Start date: ASAP
Essential job functions
• Drive sales necessary to achieve revenue goals for print and online.
Lead sales for Rock and Ice and establish partnerships and relationships with accounts and prospective accounts.
• Identify and maximize top opportunities for market share and revenue growth. Analyze the marketplace and competition to determine the most effective sales strategies to increase advertising revenues across all platforms.
• Drive the advertising sales process with marketing strategies, focused and systematic sales planning and successful implementation of the plans.
• Develop creative strategies to maximize sales resources and optimize revenues, including multi-platform products and pricing.
• Work with key advertisers to develop successful, mutually beneficially relationships.
• Work with the publisher, associate publisher, circulation director, production manager, art director and the editors to develop and execute new or expanded products and sales programs to achieve revenue targets.
• Works with key partners throughout the organization to conduct sales, strategic and operational planning.
• Work with publisher and associate publisher to prepare and implement the department’s budget, sales goals and revenue and expense plans.
• Work with editors and other staff to develop, and sell new print products, including special sections and magazines.
• Develop sales strategies, packaging and pricing for online and social media products.
• Monitor competitors for sales leads.
• Analyze business trends.
• Maintain an expertise in the marketing landscape. Know the value in what we offer and our competitors including Google, Facebook, and direct competitors.
• Plan and organize marketing and outreach events.
• Work with art department, circulation and editors to create and distribute marketing materials including media kits and promotional materials.
• Maintain online digital campaigns.
• College degree.
• At least two years of marketing and sales or agency experience.
• Strong understanding of social media.
• Self Starter.
• Strong affiliation with outdoors and desire to work in the outdoor industry.
• Extra points for being a climber and having experience in the outdoor industry.
Base plus commission and bonuses, DOE. Three weeks paid time off through three years, then four weeks paid, plus holidays.
Apply for the Position
Please include a cover letter and resume. This position is open until filled.
Send your application materials to Ben Yardley, associate publisher: firstname.lastname@example.org.